Marriage creates legal implications which bounds spouses with duties and bestows them with some rights. Therefore, it is suggested that they obtain a marriage certificate. Applicants can either apply online or offline for obtaining the marriage certificate. This article explains in detail the online process of obtaining a marriage certificate in Mumbai.
The process of obtaining a marriage certificate in Mumbai has been partially digitalised by the government. The application is to be filled online, while verification of documents is an offline process. Applicants are to fill the Form – D available on Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation’s (BMC) website. Applicants are required to upload theirs as well as the documents of their witnesses. Following is the list of documents that you’ll require:
- Age Proof of the Bride and Groom – Birth certificate/Passport/Domicile certificate/HSC/SSC certificate.
- Proof of residence of the bride, groom and the 3 witnesses – Election card/Electricity bill/Telephone bill/Passport/Aadhar Card.
- Copy your wedding card.
- Passport size photographs of the bride, groom, and the 3 witnesses.
This process is followed by making a payment of Rs. 16/- on the portal. A receipt of the same will be generated, and applicants are to take a print of the same. The receipt specifies the date and time of appointment. On the designated date, the bride, groom and the three witnesses are to visit their designated BMC ward office. Location of the ward office will be mentioned on the receipt. Applicants must note that the witnesses must be above 18 years.
On the date of appointment, the bride, groom and the witnesses are to sign on certain documents in the presence of the BMC officer. Upon completion of this process, applicants will have to again pay for obtaining the marriage certificate. The process of the payment is on the BMC’s website itself. Subsequently, they will receive a receipt for the same and the marriage certificate on their e-mail id.
Things to remember:
- Applicants are to initiate the process of application within 60 days of marriage.
- Make sure you get the signature of the Priest/Kazi on the pdf of the marriage application form.
- You might be required to fill additional forms. Carry extra passport size photographs.
- Carry all your important documents – photocopy of the application form, print of the receipt of the payment, original and photocopies of the uploaded documents.
- Applicants should be attentive regarding the information being filled. Once the application is approved by the officer, any modifications to the application won’t be permitted.
Obtaining a marriage certificate is not merely a legal process. It comes with additional benefits. Spouses can claim tax benefits, can apply for a spouse visa, and it is a necessary document in case spouses are looking for a joint home loan or buying joint property. So, apply for a marriage certificate and enjoy these benefits!
The content of this article is intended to provide general guidance on the subject matter. Specialist advice should be sought about your specific circumstances.
Key words: Marriage certificate, online process, ease, Form D, Bride, Groom, Witnesses.